Coding help

Discussion in 'School Work Help' started by iris, Nov 4, 2010.

1. iris

iris Well-Known Member

Hello,

I'm trying to build a website using Visual Studio and Access as my database. I'm not very good with coding but I want to try linking the Access Database to Visual Studio. So far I've built a small database to test it with but I'm not sure how to connect the data base.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on where I can read up? or get me started in the right direction? Thanks in advance

2. i honestly think you should pick up some books... this isn't easy, especially if you aren't particularly good with coding.... you can't really teach the everything you need on a forum...

best thing to do is just go grab some books and read.... SQL books for database queries, and some books on access and vb..

3. iris

iris Well-Known Member

Hmm thanks for the reply. Honestly the only experience I've had is with VB. My group mates kind of dropped this on me and I have to do it in three weeks. o___o

4. wongdavid

wongdavid New Member

try w3schools.com You'll need php and mysql

5. reno

reno Well-Known Member

if this is for "work" or something, its not exactly right to have that "dropped" on u especially if its nothing you've done before
    if you said u could do it, then that's another thing...

any particular reason u need to use VS/MS stuff? given the commercial prices, probably not as worth it
    better off doing php/mysql

there's quite a few samples on the web that help u set it up, and u can test it locally on your machine before u host it on the web

that said, there's also quite a few tutorials and examples on using ms-sql and displaying results on a page
    really depends what you want to do. if its just reporting off the data, or whether you're trying to do shopping carts. if you're really desperate, there's pre-made ones u can just buy and modify to suit

6. wongdavid

wongdavid New Member

yeah, pre-made ones like joomla,drupal etc..