Chinese drama recommendations?

Discussion in 'Chinese Entertainment' started by ckerky, Jan 16, 2008.

By ckerky on Jan 16, 2008 at 9:40 AM
  1. ckerky

ckerky Member

I would have posted it to the drama section, but it's all about specific series there, so I hope this is the right forum for such questions.

I have been a fan of Asian cinema for a long time already, but only recently got into Chinese drama series when a friend showed me Tian Long Ba Bu. I love it and I want more. But there is so much out there that I don't even know where to start looking.

So can you guys recommend me something? Maybe something with a similar atmosphere as Tian Long Ba Bu? Maybe even something that has been released with English subtitles? But seeing that I'm usually pretty good in watching movies in languages that I don't know at all, I'm open for almost everything -^_^

Thank you!

Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments

Discussion in 'Chinese Entertainment' started by ckerky, Jan 16, 2008.

1. wind2000

wind2000 Self Schemata

Survival Law II is an interesting series. Not sure if theres eng subs tho.

2. michelle7879

michelle7879 Well-Known Member

haha.. i m TVB series.. fever.. watch lots of TVB series.. all these yrs..
      i wil recommended u er...
      1) Heart Of Greed
      2) Dicey Business
      3) Wars of In Laws I & II
      4) Survivor's Law I & II
      5) The Building Blocks Of Life

actualy alots leh... these few tat i mentioned is abit recent series... there's more
      tat is nice ...

http://mic7879fans.multiply.com

[​IMG]

3. CNS18

CNS18 Member

I got hooked on Chinese dramas by watching "Tian Long Ba Bu", too! Other series that I have watched after TLBB are "She Diao Ying Xiong Zhuan" (Legend of the Eagle-shooting Hero) and "Xian Jian Qi Xia Zhuan" (commonly known as the "Chinese Paladin", although it is not the literal translation). Both of these dramas are like TLBB with a fantasy/martial arts theme to them. I only watched them in the original Mandarin audio without subtitles, but I heard from others that there were some English subtitled episodes of both series on YouTube. So, maybe you can check them out at YouTube and get a little "preview" beforehand! Anyway, hope you will enjoy these series (if you can get your hands on them)! :)

4. ckerky

ckerky Member

I will see if I can find subs. Well, and if not it isn't that bad either, at least not as long as I know what the story is about. I have watched quite a few Asian movies without subs since I discovered the genre, so I'm used to it -^_^

Is there also a Survival Law I and, if yes, should I watch it first, or does II make sense without knowing the first?

Thank you for the rec!

5. ckerky

ckerky Member

I think someone even mentioned Heart of Greed to me some time ago... Thanks for the recs! I will check them out! (one after the other, because that's quite a few series and should keep me busy for some time (which is good, of course :D))

6. ckerky

ckerky Member

TLBB seems to be the perfect starting point. It's such a wonderful series!
      Thank you very much for the recs! I feel a bit less lost now -blush I love the theme, so I will definitely check them out. Even better when there are at least a few episodes with subtitles, so that I know what is going on (not that a lack of subtitles would stop me from watching good series, but it's definitely better when I can actually understand what it going on :)) ::goes off to youtube::

7. i liked mars and moment in peking

8. tien317

tien317 Well-Known Member

Go to www.cruchyroll.com. REgister for free and watch videos. Functions like YouTube. Most of the series there have Eng subs. And quality is quite good :) Enjoy...Series i know is available and i think is good :
      - On the First Beat : Ron Ng,Sammul Chan,Michael Tao,Joey Yung,Sonija KWok,etc
      - Heart of Greed : Bosco Wong, Tavia, Moses, Linda chung, HA Yue, LEe Si Kei,Michelle Yim,etc
      - Revolving Doors of Vengeance (hope this is rite - the hotel show) : Ron,Ella Kwan, Joe Ma,Kenix Kwok,etc
      - Drive of Life : Damien LAu,Jessica,Joe Ma,Michael Miu,Charmaine Sheh,Raymond Lam,Myolie,etc
      - Life MAde Simple : Roger KWok,Jessica Hsuan,Bosco,Leila Tong,Paul Chun,etc

9. tiffer858

tiffer858 Well-Known Member