Bury or Cremate

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Religion' started by negiqboyz, Feb 22, 2009.

1. negiqboyz

negiqboyz Well-Known Member

When you die, do you wanna be buried or cremated??

Land is getting more expensive these days and it's so small too. I know so cuz I went shopping for it with my wife for her father's death in January. It cost us $15, 000. Even funeral service is crazy .. $25,000 .. then come the coffin .. $8,000 .. anyway, everything add up to about $60,000 total and this is the lowest/cheapest on the list already.

I personally wanna be buried when I die one day .. I don't wanna be cremated .. I know it's expensive but it's just me. My wife said she wanna be cremated .. follow her Korean family tradition; however, she changed her mind when I said NO. lol

2. MissCheekS

MissCheekS Reconnaîssant ❤

^ u told ur wife NO when she told u she wanted to be cremated =/?

hmmm...i dont think id take no for an answer lol...

I think a funeral service is around...10k euros for a basic one...n thats all i need la...
    when i die i dont need no fancy coffin etc... just a simple coffin, some flowers, candles n music would do the job for me.

My preference would be cremated.... i am scared of cold, dark n bugs, the thought that ima be left alone n ppl burrying me.... meh.....it frightens me...
    Also, in NL its not like in china, probably after i pass away my children will visit my grave n perhaps grandchildren...but what after that n like u said we running short on land so who knows what happens after say 10 years? Maybe they wanna throw all the dead bodies outta there...

I pref my ashes like thrown in the sea so i can go around the world lol.....
    id just tell my kids to burn my passport n lotsa cash money with me so i can travel....its sorta like a chinese thingy

3. Maverick

Maverick Lord Vader

How about a third choice, cryonics ...

4. brown_bear

brown_bear ☆‧° ☆﹒﹒‧ ☆ ﹒﹒‧☆‧° ☆

ditto whut angieee says....us chins..!!!....(Y)..

but yah...id wanna be cremated coz its cleaner i guess not as expensive as a burial so i wont
    be muchy of a burden to my loved ones around me...plus ive seen on telly ya get a place on
    a wall called 'ling tong' in chin i think....so id have lots a friends around me...^^...

but mostly its coz im scared of bugs and insects eating/crawling all over me....*shivers*

5. sweet idea -pirate

why? youd be dead.

6. d15z1sux

d15z1sux Well-Known Member

id rather be cremated. don't like the idea of bugs eating away at me haha. also the body will decay and look creepy even though no one will see it.

7. hayato2000

hayato2000 Well-Known Member

well does it matter? u wont know or even feel about if u were either buried or cremated but in a economic crisis now, i think alots of ppl will choose to be cremated :p

8. mobidoo

mobidoo Well-Known Member

Cremation will be better.

Why be attached to a dead lifeless body. Will be wonderful if I one of my kins can enact a tablet for me in a temple where the sutras is recited daily.

Best to focus on one's practice of our faith ?

9. negiqboyz

Well, everyone has his/her preference when they die .. some like to be cremated whilst others like to be buried. As children/grandchildren, we don't question that decision; just honor it as it is. You don't go tell your granny, not enough land so i am gonna burn you down to ashes to save space.

If ya'll Chinese, ya'll should know that it's not a choice if you read your "sam sin ba chi" along with Tao's practice as well as Feng Shui cuz whether you are cremated or buried can determine the fate of your family later generations.

Regarding my wife, hey .. isn't there a saying in ya'll Chinese, "ca gai, chui gai" or something like that .. you follow your husband and his family tradition .. thus, she even changed from christianity to buddhist .. lol

10. MissCheekS

^imo its not abt who's following who... its abt what the other person wishes...
    we are just to honor their wishes.... so if my future husband would want to get buried i wouldnt try to change his mind or whatever....
    im not saying i wont change my mind tho... maybe id think hmmm if my hubby would wanna get burried i might wanna be burried next to him or whatever but still....
    im secretly hoping hed wanna get cremated anyway... i dont wanna rot away slowly n get burried in the dark with bugs *cries*

i see where ur coming from tho....u prob want ur wife to "follow" u even after u both died so u can be "together"....

11. My grandfather asked for cremation but he didnt get it and i dont rememer him complaining about it :stickpoke:

Burial for me plx, i don't mind the bugs, we have a understanding that i keep my body while im alive and when im dead my body is fair game, chump away :sp_ike_d: :sp_ike_d:

I did say i want a super cheap coffin, minimal expenses etc but i got a bit of a scolding from my grandmother for saying that. but thats is my wish, weather its gets carried through or not is not really a concern to me as i wont be there to see it anyway, whatever makes the fam feel better.

Belive it or not im a christan so maybe ill be one of the lucky guys in the book of revelation who are raptured before i see death -innocent.

12. MissCheekS

^dude i totally agree abt the cheap part hahahaha

if ima be buried/burnt why'd i need an expensive coffin... the cheapest will do...
    if i can choose one for 400 bucks or one for 2000 bucks id go for the 200 one..... id like my loved ones to do something fun with the rest of the money insteada wasting it -dead

http://www.boingboing.net/2005/07/06/howto-make-a-cheap-c.html

now i gotta find someone whos willing to build it for me!

13. ^ hey i like that, you dont need to worry about building it for now... besides how do we know we will die in circumstances that will leave our body whole :(

i like this one, plain and when its buried you wont even see it !!!!

http://blogs.psychologytoday.com/files/u45/coffin.jpg

14. brown_bear

brown_bear ☆‧° ☆﹒﹒‧ ☆ ﹒﹒‧☆‧° ☆

okies the piccies of the coffins as well....this is kinda creepy...and depressing =/

i dunno...i think this is a tough topic to talk about with ya fam....its so sad...so guess us chins
    will need to put our wishes in our wills....

15. i have a hugeeee fobia regarding coffins. i'm afraid of waking up from my death, to find myself buried alive.

i know that you only have about 4 hours of air in a typical coffin, but i'm still freaked out lol

stab me a million times and then put me in one of them boxes please.

16. negiqboyz

Keep in mind .. my father-in-law funeral services and everything is on the lowest lowest end. The biggest reason behind the cost is "compliance" - environmental policies to graveyard policies .. etc .. just a bunch of stuffs... not like you can just be dumped in a box and buried .. and yeah about bugs .. no need to worry cuz the coffin has to be made with permanent seal so nothing gets in or out ... ground water contamination compliance (one of the policies) .. so yeah .. rent the space at the funeral home for the wake (2 days) is $10,000 .. the other $15,000 for cleaning and keeping the body till burial.

17. During the embalming process youll get more than stabbed, your body will be full of embalming fluid rather than blood so its not possible. If there is any chance of waking up it would be long before you was even prepared for burial.

18. mobidoo

mobidoo Well-Known Member

I think as long as we do out part and take care of the living around us, their burail and cremation is perhaps seondary.

Grave plots from where I come from, only have a valid date for about 30 years. Afterwhich like it or not, there will be exhumation and the plot will be recycled !

I understand what boyz is saying but sadly, it does not apply from where I come from. Imagine being allocated a "recycled" plot, couldn't be worse as far as FengShui is concern.

Oh well...

19. ^ Awww thats horrible

20. negiqboyz

^ hell no .. i bought the piece of land .. i have the deeds .. you can't recycle it or whatever. it's private property. i am not sure if you're referring to private property or not .. cuz gov can't do that. you can sue