Buddhism and Christianity - do they differ?

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Religion' started by BabyRain, Jun 24, 2007.

1. BabyRain

BabyRain Doppelgänger of da E.Twin

I thought this is interesting...
    [​IMG]
    Shot at 1969-12-31

Source: Religion and Inspiration Articles on ArticlesTree.com

the paragraph I disagree with is this, "there is the possibility that after some time in this happy realm, a fall back into the hell, animal or ghost realms could occur. " which I don't believe in my personal research based on the Tibetan Buddhism. -^_^

#1 BabyRain, Jun 24, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2007
  2. BabyRain

More on the subject of difference/similarities between these two -^_^

3. BabyRain

and the Similarities/Differences
    http://biblia.com/theology/buddhism7.htm

Take note of this article's conception of Nirvana, which I have explained is often misconstrued as in Nirvana means nothingness.
    That is an absolute error, further from the Truth.

Nirvana is freedom from lust, freedom from the various hungers of the flesh. Nirvana is not even a blissful contemplation. It is, instead, a fulfillment of spiritual knowledge, and liberation from all bodily desires.

The state of Nirvana is being in a pure state, pure so far as lack of lusts of physical things are concerned. But even when one has attained to Nirvana (ie graduate from this Earth and escape from the cycle of rebirth ON THIS EARTH), one goes on to learn spiritual things and to advance in OTHER planes of existence.

#3 BabyRain, Jun 24, 2007
  4. BabyRain

Another article:

http://www.experiencefestival.com/a/Buddhism_and_Christianity/id/9322

I find the words in bold, very thought-provoking.

5. Taxloss

Taxloss Stripper Vicar

It took me an hour to read these articles but I'm glad I can say I've read it! These are the stuff that definately goes deeper than the basic things we've learned back at school and I found myself agreeing more with the Buddhist views than the Christian views as an Atheist. Especially when I realize I live more like a Buddhist (something I already more or less knew due upbringing but after having read these articles I'm even more aware about this) whether I want it or not. The 5 Buddhist guidelines; "not killing, stealing, indulging in inappropriate sex [...], lying, or indulging in intoxicants can be all applied me. (unless you count the small white lies ofcourse)

And the 2nd article in post #3 mentions 'atheistic Buddhism' which got me thinking; so I can life like a Buddhist while regarding myself as an Atheist?

I think I've mentioned it somewhere else on PA I was more attracted to the Buddhist views anyway because it's not a god religion, you improve for yourself. In the end , in theory, if everyone started to think like that the whole world can be a much better place to live in. A better world starts by your self.

6. 無得頂

無得頂 Well-Known Member

I think small white lies may count also. I guess I can't follow the 5 buddhist guidelines then...

7. BabyRain

Haha MDD, remember my posts on Buddhism?

One of the Eightfold Paths:

6) Right Effort:

Right effort has a special meaning; it means that one must proceed at one’s OWN MOST SUITABLE speed on the Holy Eightfold Path. A person who is seeking to progress should not be impatient and try to move too quickly before he has learned the lessons which are to be learned.

and also the Middle Way.

Buddhism is a way of life, nowhere does it say that you are not a Buddhist any longer once you break any 'rules'. As long as you think the white lies are harmless and justifiable, you are not violating the Buddhism 'code'. But I have already explained to you how karma works anyway. If you commit a bad deed, you get bad karma added to you, so it's fair.

Buddhism is not a religion, therefore you don't have to go through any ceremony to embrace it. As long as you practice Buddhism teachings in your everyday life, you are already a Buddhist.

8. apollon

apollon Well-Known Member

BabyRain, did you get this from one author or multiple sources?

9. 無得頂

無得頂 Well-Known Member

I guess that also answers Taxloss' question on whether one can be an atheist and a buddhist at the same time.

10. Taxloss

Taxloss Stripper Vicar

What do you think? She clearly added the sources and the names of the authors at the beginning of each article... these are basic things to check.

11. BabyRain

Maybe it's time for you to make an appointment with your optometrist, apollon. I think those tiny font size you been using have damaged your eyesight? <_<

12. apollon

I may have a problem with my eyesight, but you can't answer my simple question without stringing it with an insult.

anyways, thanks Taxloss for pointing out the citing; i presume that it was some outside source agreeing with the associated post. so, i didn't look into it.

wait, did Buddha performed "miracles"? I'm a bit confusing because within the same source both aspects are addressed which is contradicting. Unless there is a definition difference between the miracles perform by Christ and the miracle performed by Buddha. But the author agree that their both the same. (o_O) odd, but interesting.

#12 apollon, Jun 24, 2007
  13. BabyRain

haha not an insult, just /sarcasm because I find it rather a silly question, when it's obviously posted there.

So what you do reading those articles are merely comparing notes on who is greater, Jesus or Buddha right? Does it matter that Buddha performed or not performed any miracles? That is not even the point of these articles... sigh.

14. apollon

ok.

No. Like most ppl that reads an article, sometimes elements in the articles will cause their mind to drift afar into another tangental topic. When I was reading your post, I was interested to know in the beginning that Buddha didn't perform any miracle, but I continue reading to the third post I realize that he did perform miracle. That only got me questioning to myself, "Did He [Buddha] or did he not perform miracles?" That is all. An inquiry if you may.

I understand the reason for the post and I agree with some aspect of it. But Buddhism and Christianity are two very different religion (or Way of Life). Like an apple growing on an apple tree and an orange growing on an orange tree. We can state that both objects are fruits and both similiary receive their nutrition from a mother-host: its Tree. So, in essence it is the same. But, an apple is very different from an orange, b/c not only does it look different, it taste and smell different as well. So, as much as Buddhism and Christianity may have in common. They are still very much apart.

my two cents.

15. BabyRain

More on the subject:
    http://evolutionspace.wordpress.com/tag/buddhism/
    Question 2 Concept of Personal God

Here comes question 3. This is a good question that can be asked of all major religions, Christianity, Islam and the like - what provisions do the religions provide before they come on to scene?

Question 4
    Question 5
    Question 6 mirrors a question that I would love to ask Jesus or God if I could - how would he feel about all these Christian denominations such as Catholicism, Orthodox, Anglicanism, Methodism and so on and on and on…

Question 7
    Question 8
    Question 9
    Final Question

#15 BabyRain, Jun 24, 2007
  16. BabyRain

Wow, I am going to memorize the answer to question #7 and quote it everytime a Christian claims "Christianity is the ONLY way" to my face .:p

17. Taxloss

Taxloss Stripper Vicar

I like challenges; the idea trying to improve yourself and thus your life and thus other people involved in your life (supposed they're good people too), attracts to me. If you do your own best the fruits of your effort will taste sweeter -as ye sow, so shall ye reap- when you eventually manage to move to the next stage until you've reached Nirvana. Christianity seems to use scaring tactics (Hell) and promises of a heaven after your life have ended. Don't think it's that easy.

18. BabyRain

Just to add to this:

http://www.wanttoknow.info/070518inspirationalstories

This is why I despise preachers, and people who try to influence others into submission to their religions by fear (Hell) or temptation/bribery (Heaven).

Nothing spells 'IGNORANCE' clearer than if you claim yours is the ONLY true way. Religions/ways of life are all based on our own faith, no certainty and nothing can be proven.

Certain groups of people who believe they are superior than others just based on their religions are seriously deluded and arrogant. They are in dire need of a lesson in humility and tolerance -mellow

Buddhists are supposed to be humble, modest and tolerant. I always try my best to respect believers of other religions, unless they disrespect me first.

I have always believed in free-will and tolerance towards other religions. We all learn at our own will, our own pace, our own faith.

#18 BabyRain, Jun 25, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
  19. BabyRain

Since the subject of whether Buddha performed any miracles is of interest to you, here are some articles I have found:

From Wiki:

An Article on Buddha towards the subject of MIRACLES

http://www.parami.org/buddhistanswers/what_about_miracles.htm

and Article 2

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/buddhism/lifebuddha/2_26lbud.htm

^We can see from the two articles above that Buddha doesn't encourage people to talk about his miracles.

Buddha wants us to accept his teachings based on our own power of reasoning, not because He is said to be able to perform any miracles. -^_^

http://www.mcn.org/1/miracles/M-image.html

http://www.einterface.net/gamini/buddhist.html

#19 BabyRain, Jun 25, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2007
  20. BabyRain

And a summary on the subject of MIRACLES :

(Never really interested in the subject of Miracles myself. More interested in the Buddha's teachings than the 'miracles' He performed).
    http://science.jrank.org/pages/10251/Miracles-Miracles-in-Sacred-Scriptures.html