Britain bans Japanese horror film

Discussion in 'Japanese Entertainment' started by jazlynnyee, Sep 7, 2009.

1. jazlynnyee

jazlynnyee Fantabulous!!!

[​IMG]

Britain's film censors on Wednesday banned the Japanese sadistic horror film "Grotesque", saying its tale of extreme torture featured unrelenting brutality and minimal narrative.

The British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) rejected the DVD, meaning it is unclassified and therefore cannot be legally supplied anywhere in Britain, with anyone doing so risking a heavy fine and imprisonment.

"Grotesque" focuses on the sexual assault, humiliation and extreme torture of a male and female victim, the board said.

The protagonist inflicts serious injuries on the restrained couple, including amputation, eye gouging, castration and disembowelment.

"The torture becomes even more extreme, leading to the gory and violent death of both hostages," the BBFC said.

The board rejects films only rarely, preferring to give advice about how appropriate cuts would achieve the preferred certificate.

"Unlike other recent torture-themed horror works, such as the 'Saw' and 'Hostel' series, 'Grotesque' features minimal narrative or character development and presents the audience with little more than an unrelenting and escalating scenario of humiliation, brutality and sadism," said BBFC director David Cooke.

"The chief pleasure on offer seems to be in the spectacle of sadism (including sexual sadism) for its own sake."

The distributors, who were hoping to receive an 18-certificate for the straight-to-DVD film, can appeal against the decision.

Warning: Some pictures might be disturbing.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Source: Channel News Asia

2. Katibear

Katibear Well-Known Member

Whoa, holy crap. That is extremely unusual for Britain to ban a movie, well... in this day and age anyway!

Damn this slowly increasing nanny-state!

Thing is, that only makes me want to watch the movie more :p

3. gawain187

gawain187 Well-Known Member

pretty gross those pictures.... But kind of curious to watch this film

4. typical Japanese film, i can imagine a typical salaryman getting home after a sake session and watching this like it was nothing.

i defo wont be watching it, i only managed 2/3 of passion of the Christ and i ended up having to walk out of the cinema so i could breath normally and stop feeling feint, that was the limit to the blood and violence i could bear to watch.

5. WeakNiZ

WeakNiZ Well-Known Member

After reading about the film, I wouldn't watch it either.

6. person

person Well-Known Member

I purposely watched this movie once hearing it was banned cause it was so grotesque. Yes some parts were like 'Oh damn!' but I was a little disappointed. I was expecting it to be more gross.
    But hey, that's just me. I'm a fan of gore movies so it wasn't too bad for me.

7. AC0110

AC0110 Let the Fun Begin

Never heard of it... Must download now

8. AC0110

AC0110 Let the Fun Begin

Man that was the brutal shit
    So brutal that I had to double post

9. tesingo

tesingo Member

Shit i wont watch this .. i would get nightmares from this xD

10. setshiro

setshiro Well-Known Member

those sissies...it's just a movie...there's been other gory ones before...

11. AC0110

AC0110 Let the Fun Begin

^
    Tell me more, I luv gory movies ^^

12. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

where did you dl it? i wanna watch

13. gothicayu

gothicayu Well-Known Member

i wouldnt watch it either. i think its good they ban that one .

14. AC0110

AC0110 Let the Fun Begin

I only got torrent link -_-

15. hpares

hpares Member

Perhaps they no match for it?

16. 低B仔

低B仔 Well-Known Member

im not into the japanese grusome films they make you want to throw up.

17. JspecEfini

JspecEfini Well-Known Member

^me too. but not because they are really gory or im sensitive to violence. the violence is so over the top and cheaply done its comical and tacky.

18. Japanese horror films tend to be worth watch most of the time cause something gruesome actually happens, especially compared to the english versions of their horrors. Tempted to go look for this film to watch with some friends, though I wouldn't like it to be too disturbing o_O

19. person

person Well-Known Member

Have you seen Audition? It's a cult classic, so if you haven't, you MUST check it out. It's not gore throughout the entire film, but it's worth watching the entire movie for.

20. turbobenx

turbobenx .........

Never seen this movies before, but i dont think it is really that bad....kinda like SAW.