Best CPU upgrade

Discussion in 'Science, Technology & Car Chat' started by Bulla, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Bulla

Bulla Well-Known Member

Okay, im currently running an Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz 6MB Cache 1333MHz FSB. Its okay...

I need to upgrade, what do you think would be the best with a £250 budget?

My Mobo is:

NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_nforce_790i_ultra_sli_us.html

From the looks of it, my mobo only does Intel.
    -----------------
    -----------------

I also have 4 gig ram, would like to increase it to 8 gigs, and recommendation on that too, I dont want crazy gamer ram, just something decent.

I currently have:

4GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz

Should I just match the same speed and get another 4 gig or is my RAM crap by todays standard?

Wont be buying anything else till next month but i would like to know what im getting beforehand.

My MOBO is socket: LGA775, I wonder if this means ill have to get a new Mobo...

#1 Bulla, Dec 27, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  2. runtohell121

runtohell121 ........................

Best upgrade would be replacing the motherboard to use the new Intel i5 or i7 ivy bridge series. Your current motherboard doesn't support those new sockets. Along with buying a new CPU and motherboard, you're going to need to upgrade the RAM also to a higher speed RAM for better performance.

3. Bulla

Bulla Well-Known Member

^ You are correct, I need a new Mobo, may as well sell my PC (keep my new GPU though) then. Think ill build my own this time.

4. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

8gb at 1600mhz (check for voltage at 1.5 not 1.65) would be sufficient unless u play on running multiple vms

i5 2nd or 3rd gen minimum because its quad core and new games utilize this

5. u can just get a decent 100$ asus mobo with a i5 3570k ther should be bundles for sale around 400$
    new ram at 1600mhz is pretty cheap anyways, 60 for a 16gb =P

6. bbes

bbes Incredible

Yea but unless he is going to be using Photoshop or creating videos, 16 GB is an overkill. It seems to me u will be gaming more so I would say a core i5 should suffice to go with a good graphics card.

7. Aznmask

Aznmask Well-Known Member

buy a new pc. :) that is a 4-5yr olds pc! What graphic card you using? maybe upgrade the graphic card.

Anyway mine is similar as your i bought it in 2008 April. (Quad6600 2.4ghz)

8. s15jake

s15jake Member

holy g mate, the best choice i made is switchin from amd to intel.