Architecture =]

Discussion in 'School Work Help' started by transition, Feb 8, 2010.

1. transition

transition Well-Known Member

2 brains are better than 1 =]

first day back to uni and already a launch of a massive assignment =\. well wouldr all u creative people out there lend me some brains cells and help me brainstorm some ideas =]

alright heres the first task:

consider the image you have been given very carefully (i chose a picture of a bird of paradise flower, can be seen simply from google images =D). you needa investigate the contents of the image to look beyond the obvious. the task is to try to detect an idea, or a theme, which is about the essential form you see in the image.

well heres the brief and the end result of later assignments following up will be a shelter or some sort =]. quite cool when i saw some past student's works but now when i started thinking, not that easy =\.

i set a picture of a bird of paradise flower as my wallpaper and been staring at it wenever im not doing anything.

for now i got a few things that might trigger some ideas.

- the angle these flowers are arranged
    -that arrow head like "tongue" of the flower.
    - the curves and folds on these bright orange pedals.
    -the overall structure of the flower itself

2. tiffystars

tiffystars Well-Known Member

would you look at not just the visual image but the subject within the image?
    like..
    like what a flower does.. how it TRANSFORM/changes shape over night..does it close up?
    the sharp corners of the plant, what may these sharp corners be in use of?
    the empty space above, below and around the flower?/intersections of spaces?

do you see layers, thresholds, boundaries, the different height levels, degrees of enclosure?
    what are the surfaces like?
    and the spatial characteristics, soft or bright colours?

what happens if you deconstruct the flower? perhaps even rotate it??

hope this helps^^
    my head is banging due to overload of work
    i feel sooo stressed

my final project for my first yr is crazy =_=.. i have so little time left D=
    and LOADS TO DO!!!!! it's like a group market-practice project .. on 2 large roundabouts under a crazy bridge.
    and like.. also on top, an individual project of designing houses in a compact dwelling under such small arches T_T...

anyways all the best :D

3. transition

ohhhhhh woahhhhhh that is some maddddd project!!!! well my final submission for first year was crazy as well... not as crazy as urs but it did my head =\.... like had 2 CAD projects 1 week before and then had to do my studio one where i had to design a retreat for the dalai lama in a location we visited. was insane how much work i did in that time frame (all that last minute work gave me little sleep =\)... hopefully this year i can get rid of that habit and start earlier.

awww thank sooo much for the help... well all that u said i needa look at the flower physically. coz u know cant really see much about the closure and layers from pictures. but was thinking about going to like a florist or even the botanic gardens to see some. so i get to feel it as well =]. but nonetheless that was helpful! thanks soooo much!!!

i would upload a picture but i dont have these photobucket accounts and all =\

4. transition

ohhh btw GOODLUCK with your projects as well <3

5. qpower

qpower Well-Known Member

Amazing, other architecture students on PA! What universities are you all from?
    Regarding the project, probably over by now, but I am always fascinated with the perspective in which the pictures were created from. Something to look into when in higher years.

I'm in third year B.Arch in NY, what about you??

6. tiffystars

haha thanks
    my sleeping habits have been awful...
    i cannot wait till monday interim crit is over..!!!
    the architect best be nice.. LOL. (rare)

(can't believe i complain so much about this course every day. I think every architecture student continues to question why they are on this course daily haha. It's a love hate relationship with architecture!)

hope your project is going okay so far :)

7. tiffystars

waaaaaa new york <3
    and omgosh... 3rd year B.Arch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is that your last year then? So you've done like 6 yrs already?!!!

I'm only first year BA(Hons) .. the baby of the uni and beginner haha..

University of Manchester~ (Manchester School of Architecture lols)

8. when you make it though the other end you'll be surprised by how much you'll be able to take and keeping to deadlines will be a breeze too. i think your course is preparing you to bear the potential stress of your profession.