Anyone Playing Torchlight2?

Discussion in 'Gaming Section' started by ralphrepo, Oct 1, 2012.

1. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

Just started playing a new game, the sequel to Torchlight, both are still freely available on torrent if you want to try before purchase; they're also dirt cheap too (USD $20 for Torchlight2, $15 for the older one).

At any rate, I loved Torchlight, but I'm rather lukewarm on its sequel. True, there's lots more to do there (per the dev, 4x more gameworld area), but I'm not so sure I like the new hero classes. Instead of three, there's now four classes, but they modified or eliminated the characters from the previous game, such that previous players (like me) who wanted more of the same can be disappointed by the new faces. Further, whereas the gameplay and graphics in the first was reminiscent of Diablo3, the sequel stunningly seems more like the original Dungeon Siege in appearance, at least from my first several levels with it; IMHO a huge step down. BTW, the graphics in Dungeon Siege3 are awesome, and that's been out more than a year already. I know that Torchlight2 is supposedly a 'budget' category game, but the comparison of the old versus new seems like they're sliding backwards. In an era where the big boys (ie M$) has done games with near movie realistic graphics, I'm not so sure that cartoon graphics from a decade ago will still sell.

Additionally, they also changed some of the game mechanics with item transmutation and that totally alienated me. The great thing about Torchlight was the ease of transmutation (a thankful step away from the complicated Diablo model), especially how one could upgrade gems by doubling them; that's gone. Also, item enchantments have now been limited to only a few enchantments and one has to traipse around and find an NPC elsewhere within the gameworld; he does not become available until later in the game.

I didn't try the multiplayer or LAN setups, only the single player, which I do appreciate as most designers nowadays are slaves to the economics and seem only willing to put out online subscription models, which by its nature demands multiplayer and ignores the single player experience (I personally hate playing other people on line).

So did anyone else try this or the older game? Comments?

Edit:
    This initial opinion was subsequently retracted; after playing through to level 26, I found the game to be a lot more engrossing than I first thought. I give my reasons for the change of heart later in this thread ;)

#1 ralphrepo, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  2. turbobenx

turbobenx .........

D3>TL2

3. ralphrepo

Heck, even Dungeon Siege 3 is leagues above Torchlight 2.

4. Torchlight 2 is like 15.. Got Torchlight for cheap during humblebundle..

maybe if it drops to $5 i'll get it.

5. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

dungeon siege 3 is crap on crap how do you like that if you played dungeon siege 2 is beyond me but the transmutation spell is pretty genius in ds2 i admit

6. ralphrepo

Meh... DS3 is great for eye candy, and is fairly linear, which is great for casual single player gaming (ie. guys like me). But, I was just using the DS3 graphics as a point of comparison for the new Torchlight 2 that was released this month. Obviously the graphic reqs between the two are tremendous, LOL... but the poorer choice in Torchlight 2 is so woefully obvious.

7. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

I played the demo and cringed the loot and customization was soo bad even worst than dragon age but dragon age actually had a great story... When i played Dungeon Siege 2 i was amazed at how customizable the spells were to the point where it was almost too much customization thats what i liked about it. Linear games with bad story and bad loot just turn me off, i was disappointed in obsidian because kotor 2 was soo good.

8. ralphrepo

To be honest, after starting Torchlight 2, I was so aghast at the poor choices game design choices I went back to playing the original Torchlight, LOL...The only thing that I actually liked in T2 over T1 was the tabbed inventory system of the stash; you can now put a bit more stuff in it.

ADDENDUM: After playing TL2 again for several levels more, there were so many hidden bright spots that I've come to reconsider the game. In essence, new features that make gameplay more streamlined actually improved the process. I guess the changes took some getting used to. The interface is similar and the mechanics are largely the same, but the art work is completely different. I'm currently using the 'Engineer' character, which is really a unique personality. You start off with a giant wrench to bash in the nasties, then move on to bows, pistols, shotguns and hand held cannons. You're also able to created mechanized drones with your 'spells' to attack or defend as you move along. After a while, it does become rather enjoyable. Oh, and one correction; I erroneously stated that one cannot get enchantments in the base camp; this should be corrected to say that one still can get enchantments but only after one has first rescued the enchanter from the clutches of slavers. He will then set up shop alongside the other merchants (right next to your stash as a matter of fact) making it pretty convenient. There are enchantment limit locks on everything as previously stated. Most items are only enchantable two or three times max.

Thus, I'm eating humble pie and wholeheartedly retract my previous assessment; TL2 is not only enjoyable, some aspects of it are actually pretty nifty. Mea Culpa to Runic for my early bashing of what is turning out (for me at least) to be quite an interesting game. IMHO, this game is playing a lot like what Diablo 2 should have been; or a Diablo version 2.5 as it were. It is certainly well worth what they're asking (USD$ 20). Further, the game designers have also allowed their development tools to be accessed, thus ensuring a path to gamer designed mods. There's a real lesson for Blizzard here.

On and BTW, here's an interesting take from (of all sources) Forbes Magazine: http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...is-a-better-bang-for-your-buck-than-diablo-3/

#8 ralphrepo, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  9. Aznmask

Aznmask Well-Known Member

i bought the games 2days before i got released. But i barely play it. Maybe i get use to Diablo 3?