Any Fishermen or Crabbers here?

Discussion in 'Sports Chat' started by ralphrepo, Aug 27, 2013.

1. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

Just a general survey; anyone here like to fish or crab?

2. Dav

Dav Well-Known Member

i've always wanted to get into it, but swimming...

3. I'm too impatient for fishing

4. EvilTofu

EvilTofu 吃|✿|0(。◕‿◕。)0|✿|吃

I done both, my friend is a big fan of fishing and goes crabbing once in awhile.

I caught like 5 fishes with just a bottle, a line, a hook with bait one time. ( not big fishes)

I remember a few times crabbing with a long pole with a net. It depends on the weather and the condition on the seas but it was so easy catching them.

5. ralphrepo

It's great fun if you're into catching your own seafood dinner, though one has to be careful about certain kinds of seafood from the New York area. And yes, one can catch crabs with just a net, though it's a lot easier with a baited crab trap.

6. EvilTofu

I don't eat those that are caught anywhere around the tri state area. Don't trust it...

Just for fun, but my friend does eat it...errr

7. BigM

BigM Well-Known Member

Fish and Crab here. We caught an esky full of salt water crab with our hands :p. THis is in Australia tho :)

8. Gon_nataku

Gon_nataku Active Member

I go fishing once a week at the sacramento river, been catching stripers, catfish. Salmon season just opened up here...

9. ralphrepo

[​IMG]
    Source: Wiki, see link below

Insofar as with US east coast crabs and lobsters, you can eat the meat without worries; you just can't eat the Tomalley (hepatopancreas; that gooey yellow green stuff that looks like snot). While some consider it to be a delicacy, it's where crustaceans accumulate substances that are decidedly toxic to humans. The crustaceans often eat contaminated shellfish (bivalves, mollusks) or poisonous plankton (eg. red algae). Doing this doesn't seem to bother the lobster or crab as its dual liver/pancreas structure filters and traps both PCBs (cancer causing) and Saxitoxins (neurotoxin). Cooking fully doesn't alter either substance, as both will remain molecularly unchanged even after exposure through high temperatures at long durations. Unfortunately, some people unknowingly eat Tomalley and wind up being poisoned and literally dying in a few hours after eating. However, the bright side of all this is, that despite the danger of the Tomalley the crustacean meat itself remains totally unaffected and is safe to eat. Hence, one should thoroughly clean a lobster or crab of it's gooey "innards" (including disposing and avoiding the broth if the crustacean was boiled whole; one may keep the broth only if the parts were fully cleared and rinsed of tomalley beforehand).

Oh, and BTW, Saxitoxin (STX) chillingly, is one of the most powerful toxins known to man. So powerful in fact, that it is listed in military literature as a chemical weapon; designation 'TZ'. It is considered on par with Ricin and Botulinum. It's primary effect is binding to and blocking the sodium transport channel on nerve cell membranes. For those who don't already know something about physiology, suffice it to say that because of this, if one gets enough of it into their system, one will stop breathing and die. The only treatment is supportive; to be put on a mechanical ventilator (which breathes for you) until the effects fully dissipates or wears off after a day or two. The condition is otherwise referred to as Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning (PSP).

Shellfish poisoning kills 2 in one week
    By Mary Pemberton The Associated Press

June 22, 2010 at 8:57 PM ET

A second person from Alaska has died from a suspected case of paralytic shellfish poisoning in less than a week.

John Michael Saunders, 57, of Haines, died Tuesday at his home, one day after being released from Bartlett Regional Hospital in Juneau. Saunders was flown Saturday to the hospital, where he was diagnosed with paralytic shellfish poisoning after developing symptoms, including tingling of the lips, numbness in his body, weakness and poor coordination. The crab he ate Friday was reportedly caught in front of Jenkins Rock near the Chilkat Inlet of Lynn Canal in Haines. No one else who ate the crab suffered symptoms. If tests confirm that Saunders died from eating the crab, it would be the second death from paralytic shellfish poisoning in less than a week. Dottie Lindkoff, 57, of Juneau, died Thursday after eating clams harvested in Auke Bay near Juneau.

Warning signs about the danger of paralytic shellfish poisoning are being posted at both locations, said Weld Royal, a spokeswoman for the Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation. Greg Wilkinson, spokesman for the Alaska Department of Health and Social Services, said Saunders' body is being sent to Anchorage for an autopsy. There have been five reported cases of suspected paralytic shellfish poisoning in the past two weeks. Three people were sickened earlier this month after eating clams dug at Chiniack Beach on Kodiak Island. The higher number of suspected cases could be due to several very low tides that brought out recreational and subsistence clammers and crabbers. DEC will conduct tests on crabs harvested from the area where Saunders got his. The crab was expected to arrive aboard a commercial airline Tuesday afternoon and will be taken to the state Environmental Health Lab in Anchorage. Test results should be ready by noon Wednesday, Royal said.

PSP is not normally found in crab meat but in the guts. Shellfish that are sold commercially in Alaska are routinely tested for the toxin and are considered safe to eat. Wilkinson said the last time someone died in Alaska of paralytic shellfish poisoning was in 1997 on Kodiak Island. A Karluk man ate butter clams, developed symptoms and died while waiting for a plane to take him to a nearby village for medical treatment. Tests on the clams found a high level of toxin. This year's five suspected cases are being reviewed to try and determine if they are true cases of paralytic shellfish poisoning, Wilkinson said. Urine samples from the two people who died are being sent to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to look for the toxin. The state health agency is recommending that people do not dig clams or harvest crab from the suspected areas.

"We probably have cases every year that go unreported because there can be such a broad spectrum of symptoms," Wilkinson said. "Some people just get tingly lips and don't report it."

Source:
    http://www.nbcnews.com/health/shellfish-poisoning-kills-2-one-week-1C9446236
    So, clean those crabs and lobsters well, folks ;)

For public advisories regarding what is safe to catch and eat in the waters in and around New York: Check out New York State's Dept of Environmental Conservation's Regional Fish Health Advisories Page. It will tell you specifically what types of fish, for which age or gender group, is unsafe to consume. At the large map, click on your particular region of interest. Alternatively, you can just download a PDF file (~ 8MB) with all the info. I find the PDF to be a great resource because I could just copy it into my phone for fast reference.

At any rate, got a few days off coming up next week. Going to go crabbing again. I'll try to grab some pics too. If anyone else feels like posting pics of their catches, it would be great.

#9 ralphrepo, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Espresso

Espresso Well-Known Member

I don't know why people find eating raw food to be exotic. It isn't. The scientific support is there, and it's glamorized too much.

I do it for fun, but haven't gone in a while.

11. Dav

Dav Well-Known Member

THIS IS WHY.

[​IMG]

12. ralphrepo

Surprised that no one else visited this thread in almost two years. Fishing is such a magnificent sport. Went crabbing at New York's Captree State Park last week. A lot of fun and the crabs are just starting to come in after a very long period of winter dormancy.

#12 ralphrepo, Aug 2, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  13. EvilTofu

Hadn't gone fishing and crabbing for awhile now... Missed it.

14. Phoenix

Phoenix *~Though she be but little, she is fierce~*

Yes I do like to fish and go catching crabs/clams and winkles.
    My family normally goes every summer and depending on the tides, probably fishing a few times a year. :lol:

15. ralphrepo

Love Periwinkles but they're far too labor intensive for me; both in terms of harvesting and eating. Their collection requires tremendous knowledge beforehand of tidal timing as well as geographic locations of clean tidal flats. There's also a continuous need to bend down and rummage repeatedly which, for an old back like mine, is already a non starter. As for eating, one can spend hours sucking out those tiny delicious morsels of meat which, for the impatient (like me) who exert extra unbridled suction effort, is a tremendous choking hazard event. I've had more than my fair share go right down the wrong tube but luckily, I seem to be genetically gifted with an especially strong cough reflex or else I wouldn't even be sitting here typing this. So yeah, those tiny snails are great but I don't ever eat them anymore unless someone else ordered them in a restaurant dinner.