Any classic PC games being successfully ported to Android?

Discussion in 'Gaming Section' started by ralphrepo, Sep 25, 2012.

1. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

I know that there's probably a huge amount of money to be made by app writers if they can port some of the old abandonware to android. A lot of old timer classics would still have a viable revenue stream IMHO, in today's upscale and cutting edge Android market.

Personally, I want to see things like the old Myst and Heroes of Might & Magic 3. I know that there's been a lot of fan based attempts, with directions to copy files etc. But it would be nice to have a simple download auto install like any other google play app. :)

2. i don't know about android but the ios has a crap load of them ported over including Myst

3. ralphrepo

Yeah, I can appreciate that (dammit, LOL), and Myst also worked before with the Pocket PC's running windows. However given that android commands a significant part of the OS in the phone market, I was hopeful that it would soon be ported to those devices also.

4. Aoes

Aoes Well-Known Member

there's no direct port to the android as far as I can tell... ur gonna need to run ScrummVM, that way u can port pretty much all the classics including Myst... there are a bunch "Myst-like" games on android though...

5. ralphrepo

Yeah, I looked at some of the scrumm forums but it seems like it's still an overly complicated way to get a little gaming nostalgia; I wish there was a simpler way <sigh>. As for the new games, all the good ones seem to cost money, and 'free' nowadays means game devices that need to be bought in order to advance in the game, LOL... A real pity.

6. Aoes

Aoes Well-Known Member

u can sideload the games heh...

7. ralphrepo

Still, too many moving parts; I'm hoping for the simple download app and play solution. However, the way the market is set up, the app writers keep wanting you to pay as you play. No one sells games anymore, they all sell subscriptions of some kind.

8. Aoes

Aoes Well-Known Member

lol, cuz developers would make no money when a game only costs $5... especially online pc games that require servers and server maint, $50 one time pay won't cover servers for 2-3yrs...

9. ralphrepo

Yes, that part I understand, but I'm talking about how App writers are now producing an anticipated revenue stream as an integral part of the game itself, without which it is impossible to ever complete the game. Thing such as buying game play devices (armor, weapons, upgrades, etc) so that the more you play and advance, the more it will cost you. The idea is entirely deceptive to the consumer because if there is no real way to complete the game without such additional purchases, then the game itself is incomplete and is essentially a disingenuous way to continually milk game players for more money. Imagine buying a car, and when you go to start it, realize that it won't move unless you make an additional purchase of spark plugs from the dealer?

This is essentially the game app revenue formula today; it rests entirely on a foundation of consumer fraud, IMHO.

#9 ralphrepo, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  10. Aoes

Aoes Well-Known Member

really? I've seen games where you buy armor, weapons, upgrades, etc... but yet to find one that's required... sure u may be handicapped compared to someone that did buy them, but still should be able to complete the game or compete competitively... interesting...

11. ralphrepo

No, I'm not saying that anything is technically 'required' per se; but realistically speaking, it's like asking, can you ever expect a level 1 player to win at diablo without ever leveling up? That we know, in all probability, has zero chance of ever happening no matter the skill of the gamer. Thus, for game dev's to produce such a game, they would either be very stupid (if they sold the game that way with no way of ever leveling) or very cunning (if they sold the game that way and leveling up involved some sort of continuing revenue generation for them). If you read any of the complaints on game app comments, it seems that that is one of the main bitches that players have. I can certainly understand the financial motivation behind this, and as app writers really have no 'server' cost issues with these games, they have to come up with other ways to keep the player paying as they go.

A sad state of perpetual nickel and diming of the customer, IMHO... Which is why I wish for the old classic games to come back.

ADDENDUM: In my search for a good android capable game, I read an article on Machinarium, touted as a really great puzzle game and was intrigued. Doing more digging, I also found that this was still available for PC (via torrent) and is less than 300 MBs. Needless to say, I've downloaded the game. It's simple to play and yet can become brutally hard as the game progresses. Here's a clip from the YouTube:

[video=youtube;wgAP5mWQB0c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgAP5mWQB0c[/video]

#11 ralphrepo, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012