Anthony Wong Easily Wins TV King

Discussion in 'Chinese Entertainment' started by b-lee, Dec 16, 2015.

1. b-lee

b-lee ǝʌıʇɔǝdsɹǝd ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ

anthony-wong-2015-tv-king.jpg

The TVB Anniversary Awards is Hong Kong’s most talked about awards ceremony, drumming up anticipation months prior to the event. On December 13, Anthony Wong (黃秋生) and Nancy Wu (胡定欣) respectively won Best Actor and Best Actress with wide popular support.

Besides Anthony, who was a hot favorite to win since the broadcast of Lord of Shanghai <梟雄>, his co-star Wayne Lai (黎耀祥) was another popular pick. Another top contender for the award was Ruco Chan (陳展鵬) with his role in Captain of Destiny <張保仔>.

Earlier polls between TVB artistes showed that Ruco was their TV King of choice. However, in the official voting for the Anniversary Awards, polls showed that Anthony won by a landslide, beating out Ruco by over 30,000 votes.

The results of the Best Actor and Actress awards were originally to be comprised of both audience voting and an internal professional judging panel. However, TVB failed to reach a consensus and decided to fully utilize the audience voting system in determining the winners of the night.

Thanks to the new complete voting system – Nancy edged out Kristal Tin (田蕊妮) by a thousand or so votes to win the TV Queen title.

TV King Award Fuels Anthony’s Desire to Film Additional TV Series

After finding success in the film industry, Anthony’s return to TVB was met with much enthusiasm and his performance in Lord of Shanghai won rave reviews. The broadcast of the Anniversary Awards averaged 29 points in viewership, but the ratings peaked at 35 points during Anthony’s acceptance speech.

When the media asked if Anthony would consider filming for TVB again after winning the award, the 54-year-old said, “I do – coming back and working with everyone made me very happy.”

Liza Wang Loses Out On Best Actress Title

Due to Anthony’s landslide victory, his win remains uncontested. However, Law Ka Ying (羅家英) was upset over his wife Liza Wang‘s (汪明荃) loss to Nancy Wu. Ka Ying took his irritation to Weibo, where he wrote about how Liza should not even bother competing in these types of awards races anymore.

Creds: Oriental Daily

2. Sherry

Sherry Well-Known Member

Liza Wang was always playing minor roles...how can she win TV Queen?
    I like Anthony Wong but winning TV King after 1 drama is a bit unfair.....I thinkWayne Lai deserves more but i like them both so...hopefully next year

3. turbobenx

turbobenx .........

is it me or kristal was throwing shades at Anthony Wong? She's getting revenge for her husband, lol. But anyways, i loved Anthony's speech. Kent tong should be among those nominated also, his performance was so good. The 5 tigers never seized to amaze me in acting.

4. Espresso

Espresso Well-Known Member

I don't see how he was special. Honestly. I never cared nor believed these awards to be a symbol of achievement.

Wayne played different characters (young and old). Anthony did nothing special. Maybe his accent allowed him to win, but how can you come out with one drama and win an award? Makes no sense.

5. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

1 role or not, if you're the best actor/actress then you deserve it. Quality > quantity.

Liza didn't deserve it, Limelight was nothing special.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Espresso

Espresso Well-Known Member

Liza is one thing. Limelight is another. You can't mix the two.

Anthony played just one particular role in the drama. His character is probably WHY people like yourself feel he deserved the award.
    People don't want to acknowledge Wayne but he played his characterS really well.

At the end of the day the TVB award is orchestrated and doesn't have substance. Liza does not need the award to solidify herself. But the point is, this TVB award is meaningless.

7. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

I didn't say anything about Anthony, I didn't even watch Lord of Shanghai yet. I'm just saying if you have the best acting, then you win. It doesn't matter if they had 1 drama or 5 drama over the course of the year. IMO everyone knew it was down to Anthony, Wayne, and Ruco.

And I can mix the two. Why? Actors can make dramas interesting. You could say Liza's role wasn't memorable enough to make Limelight interesting. Obviously the storyline or script has a lot to do with it, but actors can turn nothing into something. Just ask xaznxryux. He completely thought Captain of Destiny was shit, but Ruco single handedly saved the drama for him.

8. xaznxryux

xaznxryux Well-Known Member

my name is Raymond and I endorse this message ;)

but yes, I honestly think that the award should probably go to the best actor available and someone who can make his/her role very memorable.

Anthony - politics or not, deserved the award as much as Ruco and Wayne

Wayne did a tremendous job on his role in Lords, playing the evil role

No need to explain my love to Ruco, I think I did enough of that in a million threads

Liza...my my my...I have ALWAYS hated her for some odd reason but I found her role in Master of Destiny was much better than Limelight...I actually hated Limelight...thought it was a trashy drama

the TVB award in my opinion does hold some weight, like it or not...it opens up to more opportunities for the company and the actors. You may not agree with it but it holds a lot of financial opportunities for everyone. These awards are always political and money driven

• Like Like x 1