Alright, Once & For All, WTF Is Reflected Damage?

Discussion in 'Gaming Section' started by ralphrepo, Sep 30, 2012.

1. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

I've probably read about a dozen pages on a dozen different sites ever since Diablo (the original) and still I don't have a clue what "Reflected" damage is. Does the wearer of the armor negate the damage and the attacker sustains it instead, or does the wearer take the full damage and the attacker a portion thereof ? -huh

2. Flames

Flames Out of Date User

Depends, it can be anyone of what you said...
    But basic concept of reflected damage is that the attacker will take damage just for attacking someone with that the reflect damage ability.
    As for negating the damage, taking portion of the damage that is usually an additional effect.

3. ralphrepo

I'm trying to understand numerically, where the points go; the semantics is in the word reflected, as opposed to deflected. With deflected, we intuitively understand that the force was negated because it was sent elsewhere. With reflected, it's not so simple; was a mirror image (or portion thereof) of the force effect sent back irrespective of the effect on the target? I'm assuming that it is. But what has me flummoxed over the years is the claims and counter claims that the target gets 100% of the damage or not.

4. Hartia

Hartia Well-Known Member

I've tried to understand why 100% MF doesnt give you magic items 100% of the time....

5. ralphrepo

Tell me about it; the statistical mechanics of some of these games are so far afield of what regular people understand it has become nearly useless, LOL...

6. deathanj3l

deathanj3l Well-Known Member

think the MF was like a multiplier.. so like if a drop is 10% then u have 100% MF so now u have 20% chance to find it.. since in most games drop rate are like constant % then having higher loot chance = multiplier of it..

7. Flames

Flames Out of Date User

Depends on the game mechanics, but usually it is pretty much the target of damage will take full damage. The damage reduction is usually the from another ability such as how many extra armour the item provides, or how many % of reduction it is mentioned.
    eg. Helmet with a description of +18 armour, Reflect Damage of 5%

8. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

reflected dmg as in a affix of the elites or like as thorns or as in the monks mantra of retribution ability are you talking about diablo 3? :trollface2: It depends on the game i guess some u actually reflect a percentage of damage back at enemy its usually that way but if the want to negate or absorb damage maybe they should write that to prevent confusion. I mean games like final fantasy sometimes have spells call reflect that only negate a certain amount of damage but sometimes they reflect the whole spell back. In terms of elite affixes in diablo 3 i dont really know the exact damage reflected by the enemies or if my resistance and armor will absorb some of that dmg but i know my "invincibility" spell absorbs all the reflected dmg so that is definitely reflect. And theres only one armor i see in d3 that has the "chance to reflect missiles back at enemies."

And talking about the gold find magic find thingy lol it is pretty lazy of the developers to put the percentages like that maybe if they had a general percentage for item finds at certain levels posted in game but they do have it in a guide:

Hell – Act III and Act IV

iLvl 61: 13.9%
    iLvl 62: 3.45%
    iLvl 63: 0%

Inferno – Act I

iLvl 61: 23.9%
    iLvl 62: 12.6%
    iLvl 63: 4.8%

Inferno – Act II

iLvl 61: 23.3%
    iLvl 62: 18.6%
    iLvl 63: 9.3%

Inferno – Act III and Act IV

iLvl 61: 27.1%
    iLvl 62: 21.7%
    iLvl 63: 16.3%

these are for the legendaries so assuming you have a 16.3% drop rate then 100% increase will give you 32.6% chance? Not too sure about that but your mf is capped at 375 so you will never get 100% drop rate. I've raised my mf to over 200 and havent found a legendary since so its all bs.