3rd Year Project

Discussion in 'School Work Help' started by hongkongboy, Jul 13, 2010.

1. hongkongboy

hongkongboy Well-Known Member

Could anyone recommend some idea what to do? Below are some suggest from my lectures:

[FONT=&quot]KX1: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Facebook Privacy Emulator- Privacy Awareness Tool (Computer systems security)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The student will need to research privacy and legal issues associated with social networks. They will have to create a website that will emulate Facebook and its privacy options. This will demonstrate to the user, by changing the privacy settings, who can access the personal pages and what can be seen from a number of user perspectives (third degree, second degree, first degree, etc). This is an awareness site that will demonstrate to online users issues with misconfigured privacy settings. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Possible Technologies:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]HTML, XML[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    KX2: [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Distributed Brute force Tool in Pydra (Computer systems security)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The student will have to create a brute force framework application that will make use of Pydra and scale appropriately. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Pydra is a distributed and parallel computing framework for python[/FONT][FONT=&quot]: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]http://pydra-project.osuosl.org/[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    KX3: [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]A automated webcrawler for identifying insecure login forms (Computer systems security)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The project will consist of a program (the webcrawler) that will visit(crawl) a site and identify if the page is using SSL or not to authenticate the user. This will have to include possibly conducting a form post (is man-in-the-middle or proxy required?) and not only looking at the URL (for https) or just the html/javascript source code. Checking SSL connection security can also be incorporated and reported back. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Python, C, C++, C# (choose one)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Understand of HTML, forms, internet protocols etc.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]XML, HTML [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]OS System :[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] any[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    I am allowed to do on anything I want but I just dont have a clue what to do or where to start? Im not exactly good with programming and creating softwares, Ive emailed my lecture but he said I have to read around the subject etc
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

2. -Tisken-

-Tisken- Well-Known Member

i would choose option 1.
    a very interesting topic !
    but i have no idea about HTML/XML.... haha

3. all of these projects have quite a lot of programming involved with each project...

KX1: build a website
    KX2: build an application using a framework
    KX3: build an application that dynamically conducts tests on whether or not a site is secure or not.

the easiest project is KX1, as it leans towards research into privacy and legal issues. the development aspect is simply HTML, and HTML is probably the simplest coding there is.

If you're not good at programming, stick to project KX1. HTML is much much easier than Python, C, C++, C# java etc.

now if you have trouble with HTML, that's a different story.

anyways, good luck on your project.

4. hongkongboy

hey dan, remember about my previous post about python? And i though i fail uni? well i did fail that piece of coursework lol but thankfully somehow i had a overall mark of module of 41% lol

So yeh i pass my 2nd year lol into last year now as you can see they already email me planning my 3rd year project

ive kinder thought of a simple one already which is making a simple web base system which allows users to have more understanding about computer secuity. In this system the users will be going through a form type thing or something entering what they already have on the computer like firewall? which anti virus? do they have encrypted they private files. then i give them a review back what level is they computer as and also provide them a better solution in making they pc even more safe

i be working on anti virus reviewings, questionaires on public people what they know about computer security etc.. all answer will be based on yes n no or dont know

you see where I coming from? you think it a good idea?

And yes i think HTML is easier, hate programming

5. ^ do that then, get it approved by your prof and get on it.

you and choy should work together on the same project lol

6. Hunter_zaz

Hunter_zaz Member

Don't be over ambitious, I say do something you know you can do. Don't spend most of your time doing it then find out its too difficult or you don't have the time to complete it. If number one is a recommended one from your teachers, then choose that.

7. tails

tails Member

How about making a utility that makes it easier to emulate a Dolev Yao attacker in some situation? I'd bet that'd be useful in auditing some systems.

8. hongkongboy

i am screw start uni not long ago n my orginal project idea is rejected need to think of a new one.

so...errr anyone give me some ideas?