Mobile Payment Systems

Discussion in 'Science, Technology & Car Chat' started by runtohell121, Jul 22, 2015.

1. runtohell121

runtohell121 ........................

Just a random topic and curious about smartphone users. Since smartphones with NFC and mobile payments are getting more popular... Do any of you use Android Pay, Google Wallet, Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, etc. instead of your credit card/wallet? Or do you guys still prefer using credit card/cash? What about the interest in smart credit card such as Coin or Stratos as an alternate option to carrying multiple credit cards?

2. b-lee

b-lee ǝʌıʇɔǝdsɹǝd ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ

I've heard of coin and stratos, would love to try it out but don't think they are available in Canada yet. Credit cards these days are pretty convenient already though with tap and pay.

3. runtohell121

Coin and Stratos is still not fully released yet I believe... well slowly rolling out in beta forms to consumers in the US. Credit cards in Canada is tap and pay? Right now, in the US, I think most of them are still sliding the magnetic card strip instead of using the emv chip and little to no credit cards I've seen/had is tap and pay.

4. Phoenix

Phoenix *~Though she be but little, she is fierce~*

We've just recently got the apple pay introduced in my area..
    but i'm not keen to use it.....i'm sure there's going to be some flaws that pop up soon so i'll wait it out..
    We have the wireless tap and pay system which you can use your bank cards with but i still like the old method of chip & pin.....It is convenient and quicker but i'm still a bit iffy with tapping and going, seems too insecure for me....

The only thing i'll tap is my oyster/octopus card because i know how much there is....

5. b-lee

b-lee ǝʌıʇɔǝdsɹǝd ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ

Yeah, in most places if it's under $50 you can tap and pay it, super convenient.

6. mr_evolution

mr_evolution ( • )( •ԅ(ˆ⌣ˆԅ)

It depends where you are and the other payment options available.

In HK we have Octopus card and Visa Paywave/Mastercard Pay pass where which is already convenient and widely acceptable

7. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

Octopus is the best thing ever invented.

8. u live in hk now? :boblook:

what happen to paypal too old now? they have app too :kelefe:

#8 shinobi, Jul 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  9. runtohell121

Yeah, Apple Pay was recently introduced in UK and there were some issues reported when it was released. In the US, we're slowly moving towards chip cards.

Kind of wish US had more tap and pay style cards like the octopus card...

That's pretty convenient for Canada

Seems more convenient than mobile payment systems actually...

10. I'm old school... I get the whole super convenient thing about "tap and go" card payment systems but the only one I'd use is octopus as well, only because that's more of a debit facility than a credit one.

Most credit card payments don't require anything if purchase amount is <$50. It's configurable and some ppl up the amount to $100. IF you card never gets stolen or lost you'll be fine. But if you do loose it, it's a huge pain in the ass to get the banks here to refund you the erroneous transactions.

I'm keen to see apple pay/google wallet features in real life applications but over here those facilities were/are not introduced yet/ever...

11. EvilTofu

EvilTofu 吃|✿|0(。◕‿◕。)0|✿|吃

Try anything other than cash in chinatown, let's see what would happen. :facepalm2:

12. iksxc

iksxc Well-Known Member

LOL, you'll go home empty handed, that's what. :D

13. runtohell121

lol true.. chinatown.. cash only.. even chinese restaurants, a lot of them are still cash only :lol:

14. runtohell121

Another smart card or more like.. smart wallet..

15. :fear2: proprietary system?

16. iksxc

iksxc Well-Known Member

Speaking of which, they'll offload the fees to the customers. So if you pay cash, it'll be tax free; but if you pay with CC they'll charge you tax. What a sham! :no:

17. runtohell121

Only some of them charge you a fee... Only when it's less than a certain amount of money spent though. But most chinese places I've been to is cash only and if they accept CC, there's no fees.

18. This practice is everywhere... cash in hand so they can play with the books for tax.

19. runtohell121

Another decent smart credit card, [url="https://www.plastc.com/"Plastc[/url]. Looks promising, have chip and pin, rechargeable, touch e-ink display to show what card you're using. Though the price is on the high side...

Samsung Pay is coming out soon in select markets, not sure how many people would use that, but seems better than Apple Pay. Android Pay, not too much news about it until the OS update, Android Marshmallow.

20. I like the cardless access to cash nowadays. get an app on ya phone that generates a 'pin' that you can use to access your cash at ATMs.. (Y)