Leon Lai Recalls His Past Relationships on Chinese Talk Show

Discussion in 'Chinese Entertainment' started by b-lee, Jan 16, 2017.

1. b-lee

b-lee ǝʌıʇɔǝdsɹǝd ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ

jin-xing-leon-lai-2017.jpg

Heavenly King Leon Lai (黎明) dropped his curtain and spoke up about his past relationships on the Chinese talk show, The Jin Xing Show <金星秀>.

The extremely private singer, who went through two well-known relationships, did not attempt to go off topic when the famous host, Jin Xing (金星), asked him about his past relationships.

Asking Leon if their breakup was due to pressure from society, Leon asked, “Which one are you talking about?” (Shu Qi 舒淇.) “Why did you mention Shu Qi?”

Jin Xing said, “I really, really like this girl. You two were perfect together. How long were you guys together?”

Though Leon did not answer the question directly, he did say, “I come to Jin jie’s show to talk, and I know I will let Jin jie ask this question, because many others have the same question as well. It is an appropriate question to have, but because I am an involved person, I cannot not talk about it. Also, she is already married. I don’t think we should dwell on this question, regardless of how it is asked or answered.”

Was Leon “heartbroken” by the breakup? “We were all hurt. If we couldn’t hurt, then we wouldn’t have been together.” He then added that, despite their bad breakup, Shu Qi is a person that he still admires very much.

When the topic landed on Gaile Lok (樂基兒), whom Leon was married to from 2008 to 2012, Leon said he still believes in love and fate despite the divorce. “If I don’t believe it anymore, then I might as well go become a monk. You definitely have to sacrifice when it comes to love. That is what love is. If you don’t sacrifice for it, the other person won’t either. I still believe in fate, and I will cherish it when it comes.”

Asking if the 50-year-old has a type he is looking for, he said, “It really doesn’t matter. One day, we will all get fat. We can’t just focus on looks.” (Chinese?) “No more westerners,” he said, perhaps taking a jab at his ex-wife Gaile. “They like getting divorces too much.”

Jin Xing then suggested that he should consider actress Sheren Tang (鄧萃雯), who is the same age as him. Leon rolled his eyes and asked, “Isn’t she married?” (She’s not!) “Age isn’t and shouldn’t be an issue. I’ll leave everything to fate.”

First Love at 18 Years Old

Leon then talked candidly about his first puppy love, saying that he experienced his first romance at 18 years old; he was dating a classmate, and their relationship lasted about 6 to 9 months.

It was an experience hard to forget. His then-girlfriend’s mother did not like him very much—when he took his girlfriend back home, her mother saw him and scolded, “You guys will not last long. Do not hurt my daughter.”

“She was very direct,” said Leon. “I was young and didn’t know anything, but as I grew older I’ve come to understand that her mother was using her life experience to make decisions.”

Once Gave Up a House for a Movie

Though Leon was in two rather high-profile relationships in his life, he is an extremely private person. He avoids visiting crowded places in the city, explaining, “When you show up, there will be people who like you, and there will be people who don’t. You’re in the way of those who don’t care about celebrities and just want to peacefully eat their meal without any distractions.”

Leon is the owner of several entertainment companies, including the record label A Music and the production company Player One. Leon described himself as a boss who accumulates more deficits than gains, recalling that he once gave up purchasing a $50 million home to invest in a movie and now the home's value increased to $1 billion.

Creds: Ming Pao